Skip to main content

The Shakings of God

I'm sorry to hear news of recent earthquakes and factions, plus a landslide this afternoon here and abroad. Indeed, we are seeing things and happenings that we cannot control.

I remembered the verse I read this morning about God's shakings. Pastor Joey Bonifacio of Victory Christian Fellowship once exhorted this verse in his book, "The Promise No One Wants." God has a promise in the Bible that sometimes we don't necessarily want to receive in our life. But it is indeed a promise of God for us.

In Hebrews 12:26-27: 

"At this time his voice shook the earth, but now he has promised, "Once more I will shake not only the earth, but also the heavens." The words "once more" indicate the removing of what can be shaken - that is, created things - so that what cannot be shaken may remain."

When I received this word in 2010, I took it as a word from God that some events that happened in my life were not in my control but were necessary for God to lift me on higher ground. The same way an airplane goes through turbulence when it takes off, at times God shakes our lives through circumstances to polish us, not to harm us, but to give us a life that is stronger, pruned and devoid of things that will keep us from growing into His likeness and character. Or maybe these are things that will keep us from living the fruitful life that God has designed for us to enjoy with him. There are probably what we don't need when God wants to promote us to a higher life. Sometimes He uses seasons of shaking to remove the rough edges so that eventually when we get to that flying motion, we will be unhindered and flying freely, sailing in the promises and adventure of the life God has designed for us.

Such shakings I went through that time were honestly very hard to accept. At those moments, if it weren't for the Word of God about His purpose for it all, I would not have accepted them.

The fruit of any shaking is a life that is not easily shaken, a life that is grounded on God's Word and a life that can withstand all the storms that are to come. Sometimes storms bring us to a higher ground with God. And at times it does prune us so we are prepared for the next storm.

Now, I'm not saying all of this is indeed from God - the earthquakes and all. My mind is too finite to grasp the events in our world. What I can only grasp is Who to hold on to when there are things I cannot control.

For Pastor Joey's blog on this in light of the Quaking in Japan, here's the link http://joeybonifacio.com/2012/06/quaking-in-japan-june-5-2011/

Photo courtesy of Inquirer.net

Comments