Skip to main content

Being Trained by the Master

Mr. Han, played by Jackie Chan and his pupil Dre (Jaden Smith) in the movie The Karate Kid
(image: http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/the-karate-kid-review/)

We all love Kung Fu, Karate movies where the hero/student has to go under strict training from the master.

I can't help but thank God for his training that started three or more years ago. During that time, God's training seemed difficult and to me it made no sense sometimes. God's training to me was very unique and shaped specifically for the task or purpose I was meant to fulfill. But back then, I had no idea what it would be. I thought I would be one type of instrument, only to find out I will be shaped to be a different one. His ways I cannot comprehend. But being trained for His purpose has been priceless.

Proverbs 23:23 says, "Buy the truth and do not sell it— wisdom, instruction and insight as well." God asks us to place a high value on insight and learning. Indeed all of life is a learning process.

Why? Proverbs 2:11 "Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you." God wants to lead you to His best and highest purposes for your life.

Looking back, I see now how God's training is priceless. 

Sharing some of my most valued lessons from God that He taught me through the practice fields of life:

1. His counsel and wisdom gives you a solid footing.

A lot of people give good advice. It's a given. I will not deny that.

But if you were put in this place where I'm assigned now, where things are not always as it seems, where you're thrust into different external controls that you have no control about, you will thank God for his sure, steady voice leading you throughout. (I mean it!)

I would have gone nuts - more nuts - if I followed only the lead of people and the things around me. People have different opinions. They come from different sides of the coin. It will be hard for us to satisfy everyone. But God knows each person's need, not just what they think they need, but what they really need. I remember the story of the Samaritan woman at the well. Jesus was able to give her an exact account of her past, and tell her that what she needs (water) will run out but what she really needs is something that will not run out (Himself). The woman then asked where can she find this Living Water, confirming that Jesus saw through her what she really needed. She needed something that will satisfy her for more than just a day. She needed to know the Messiah. And then He revealed Himself to her. Isn't God so smart?

He knows His purposes and ways better, and when He gives counsel, He has already weighed every step, including the things that you do not control and the things that you do not see. And oh yes, people don't see all sides of the picture (which is why opinions can vary) but God can.

Come to think of it, only God can. Isn't that nice? Having a pair of eyes that could see all these things happen and lead you?

Don't get me wrong, relying on people is okay. We need each other. But there is blessing and peace in putting our hope and trust in God.

"You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast (i.e., fixed), because they trust in you."
Isaiah 26:3

"If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind."
James 1:5-6

2. The externals are not always what it seems. 

People may think their problem is one thing, but to God it is probably another. Root to fruit, cause-to-effect.

Sometimes people don't know what they really need. That's why sales people do diagnostic analysis or counselors dive into context and details before really finding the solution to their customers' or patients' problems.

For example, I can say one thing that I think my problem is but another pair of eyes helps me to see what is really the problem. (So yes, I am not ruling out other people's advice).

In dealing with complex issues, sometimes they take time. However if you diagnose or solve the root - the real problem - you would have started to address it.

But sometimes, most times, roots can't be really seen in one glance. It's easier to see the fruit. Who alone knows the root problem? I believe it's the Lord.

"And he will be called Wonderful CounselorMighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."
Isaiah 9:6

Counseling people is not really my gift. But in the instances that I need counsel or suddenly need to provide counsel, I know that God and the people around me are with me  to help me with the task. 

3. Sometimes to experience the fullness of what it means to follow God, we have to be led by the Spirit.

"But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law."
Galatians 5:18

"For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God."
Romans 8:14

Knowing and experiencing this gave me more peace of mind to know which one of God's instructions in the Bible will I obey at each moment. Lord how will I know which to apply now?

I am so thankful because I would not survive in this task without God's precious Spirit by my side. I will not last. I will get lost in what I can see and not on what cannot be seen. I need the daily counsel and leading of the Holy Spirit.

"But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you."
John 14:26

4. When we follow the Spirit, we cannot fully expect the results, but can only trust God to give us what we need at that moment.

When God gives me a Word, I rarely rarely know what it is for until after it happens.

I follow it thinking one thing, and then He does something else but it's still related to the Word.

The point is, the same way that God knows all things, He also controls all things. The outcome will fall into His loving hands.

We just have to trust enough to obey. But we leave the results to God.

Just because He is God. It's His job. ;-)

5. Holiness glorifies God.

"...without holiness no one will see the Lord."
Hebrews 12:14

God is gracious. And His children are to be set apart for God. They are holy unto the Lord. Just as we regard places, sanctuaries as holy, so also God regards the body and soul as sacred to Him. They are to be His dwelling place and we have to be careful to take care of it and not allow anything to defile it. It is holy to God.

The holiness of God taught me to choose what to think, what to watch and what to give up. But at the same time also, true holiness comes from a loving relationship with Jesus. Jesus' blood is what makes us holy. It is what gives us the grace to make the right choices. God treasures holiness and purity. Holiness was one of the things that I had to be trained for prior to being used by God in any form. I have to be trained in godliness and holiness. Without God's prior discipline, I may have damaged His reputation and mine without careful thought. Without holiness, no one will see Him.

"Blessed are the pure in heart,
    for they will see God."

Matthew 5:8

Without holiness, I will not see God. I will not have a proper relationship with a holy God. At the same time, other people cannot see God in me. Without holiness, no one will see the Lord. That is why we need Jesus. It is not just to do holy, but to be holy. ;-)

Be holy because God is holy (Leviticus 20:7-8, 26).

"But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”"
Matthew 5:8

I am still being trained. Holiness does not mean I hide in some place so nothing can defile me. But it does mean that I make choices in life out of reverence for God.

My leader once said that holiness cannot be fully explained but deep inside, you know what it is not. If something is not holy, you know it, though you cannot fully grasp the meaning of holiness.

You just know what it is not.

My body is to be a vessel devoted to the ways and purposes of God.

6. Above all else, if I fail (which I have throughout this training process), I know that God can and will forgive me. :-)

There were many times I wanted to give up on myself and on the task, but not God. Lord it's too hard! This is impossible I can't reach that note. 

God I can't do this. I can't keep doing this. I don't want to do this. I don't want to suffer anymore. 

Lord, what if so and so think this? What if it never happens for me? What is it's too late? etc. etc.

I don't know what He sees but after all I've said and done, once I confess them to my God, He forgives me. He gives me rest. He strengthens me. And He asks me to try again. Not only try again, He backs me up with His grace and suddenly I find that I can do it, God came through for me, God healed me, God moved my mountains for me, God answered my prayers. And that is all after I failed him! Amazing God He is.


Well that is about it for now. What do you think?

Hopefully I said a thing or two today that would give insight to things. But like I said, God equips people for different tasks. There is not one mold here. Maybe God's training and equipping for you will be different from mine. 

I just think that bottomline, we need the counsel and encouragement of God for the tasks He has set for us. And we need the Holy Spirit.

Meanwhile this is for you my friend:

One day, you will be ready to march right in to the purposes of God for your life! 
I am counting on it. ;-)

"being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."
Philippians 1:6

You also have a calling from God. He sees us for what we can become. He is a good and loving Father. Not just Master, but Everlasting Father (Isaiah 9:6). He is the wonderful, faithful, reliable, and trustworthy Abba Father. You are part of His great plan for the world. In time, you too will know. In time, you will be ready. Let us continue to seek the Master and follow His ways.

May you have a blessed mid-week! :-)

Comments