Skip to main content

The Voice of My Shepherd


I will begin this entry with the verse from John 10:27
"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me."

Part of my job sometimes is to transcribe meetings. It's actually a fun ordeal for me because I like to hear about people and what they think. Sometimes though it's hard to distinguish the same-sounding voices, whereas some people have "signature" accents so you know which one is speaking, especially if you haven't met them.

After some runs, I realize it's easier of course to recognize the familiar voices. You know their voice by just a word, or an utterance. You know whose voice it was. 

The same with listening to the voice of the Father. It never is a perfect science. But God said his sheep know his voice and the closer you get to Him, the more you recognize the real from the fake. Hopefully, my dream for myself is to get to a point where God's mere breath and utterance is more than I need to recognize him.

Our hearing from God is a blessing. I am convinced that God has a better sounding voice when I finally meet him in heaven. His will be the best and sweetest, most gentle and loving voice I will ever hear in my lifetime.

I know in this lifetime I only have traces of that voice, because the Holy Spirit gives us His revelation and truth. But I believe that when truly we see God face to face in heaven one day, His voice will be the most glorious of all. I am not even an inch closer maybe to grasping and hearing all to His wonder and voice. What a pleasant sound that could be. 

Writing this I hear a thunder roar and rain pouring fast. And I remember this verse from Job, "God's voice thunders in marvelous ways; he does great things beyond our understanding." (Job 37:5)

I think that's how glorious His voice is. And though I hear him now, I know they are mere revelations as gifts to me, but not yet the fullness of what I will get to hear when I'm in heaven.

Having said all this, I hope you were encouraged to continue drawing near to the Lord and continue hearing from Him this weekend. My prayer is you are so close to Him you know His voice like your own best friend or lover. God is a sweet God with a strong, gentle and loving voice. 

He can be lovingly sweet and gentle telling you, "I delight in you." At the same time, he can be firm like a real man, when a loving correction is needed.

Let us all draw near to our Heavenly Father's voice this weekend. And I pray that you have the knowledge of His will as He freely gives to those who seek Him and His kingdom with all their heart.

Comments