Skip to main content

Life Verse



Context: A life verse is a verse in the Bible that speaks to you as your personal motto in life, favorite verse or promise to claim. 

Since we are on the topic of hearing from God personally and reading the Bible is a sound exercise to strengthen our spiritual muscles, why not make the first step as simple as scouting for your life verse or favorite quote - Bible style?

I hope you wouldn't mind me sharing mine. :-) 

My life verse for years now is Psalm 73:25-26:

"Whom have I in heaven but you?
    And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail,
    but God is the strength of my heart

    and my portion forever."

In the beginning of my spiritual walk with God, this has been one of the verses that has personally spoken to me and strengthened me in all my personal trials. When I was down, I would go back to this and remind myself what's more important to me. When I was gathering the strength in my heart to obey the Lord and follow His plan instead of mine, God reminded me of my voluntary desire to walk in His ways - because I have given up everything to follow Him instead. I wanted my ultimate desire to be God Himself, something perhaps a grace or a measure of faith (Romans 12:3) that God has apportioned for me - a desire I can't completely explain. It is perhaps an imprint of God's desires becoming mine. And whenever I fail in my own intention to serve and obey God with all my heart, it reminds me that I may fail, but GOD is the Lord of my heart. He holds the very heart that I have and He is the only one that is Mine forever. There is none on earth or heaven that can compare to the ultimate satisfaction of being with Him and talking to Him face to face. Nothing. That is what the Psalmist was saying. There is nothing more important that God Himself. God is my Beloved but more importantly, I am His Beloved and nothing will ever change that. 

How about you? What is something in the Bible that you keep coming back to? Care to share?

Probably you've gone through a poem or literary analysis in class before. Would you try dissecting each line and try to paraphrase it yourself what it meant? Would you care to look back and study the author - his personality, background, circumstances - of the very verse that you hold dear to your heart?

Maybe, just maybe, this simple exercise is one simple step already to hearing from God. 

God bless you.

Comments