Skip to main content

Sticking to Your Purpose

Could it be that we get lost sometimes looking at what people have and what we don't have? What is happening in their lives and what is not in ours? Is it because we fail to live our own lives with purpose?

Is it logically sound that if we don't walk ahead, we eventually look around and merely react and watch?

Yesterday, I've tweeted this line, "One day you don't spend doing what you're supposed to do, you've degraded yourself to reaction mode.I've unwittingly allowed myself to live my former mediocre life of reacting to circumstances without even going forward one step into my God-ordained purpose. I've already told God before I would let go of that life. I will not let the enemy take another step and ruin my day for all it's worth without advancing God's kingdom. It's like having an offense strategy but along the way, there's the defense as well. "No opposition will ever stop me from doing what I was supposed to be doing," I would encourage myself.

But yesterday, instead of taking a step further towards my cause, I've recollected every hurt that piled up the days before that and thought "Woe is my life" again in my ordinary melancholic nature. Instead of being a participant in life, I became a spectator and became a self-induced victim again to my own circumstances. I am one of my greatest enemies in terms of rewinding things up that happened to me and so on. If not for God waking me up in my prayer time, I would not have powered back to what I was supposed to be doing - encouraging people and relating and sharing God's Word. We can all miss out sometimes don't we on what we're supposed to be doing

I am not assuming that that is the only reason why we look to other people's lives instead of our own - that we lack a life of purpose - but I think if we do live with one, it will be proactive medicine for us all. Instead of looking at what other people have, are doing and being a spectator, we will experience life in its fullest by getting grounded on our passion and passionately pursuing our purpose or goal.

Rick Warren and other wise authors had already written that your purpose is not necessarily related to your job. It is not the have and have-nots of your job that will keep you from living your purpose. Your purpose is already inside you, guided by the passion and with help from God in terms of confirming it.

My purpose for writing this is I want to help people out of their misery of reacting to circumstances in daily life by helping them to be truly happy in what they were called to do. People say that when you are really living out your passion, you're much happier and something inside you confirms that that was what you were created to do. Try to find your purpose in life more than what the job description entails. Find and be in the center of where you are supposed to be and what you were created to contribute to the world. The world needs you. There will be no one else like you. If God created you, the world is not in a worse position. The world is in a better position to receive from you because of the gifts that were given you, if only you would pursue and hone them and not compare yourself to someone else and being who you are not. Be a world-class version of you.

We can't compare our life's contribution to other people because we are different. We have unique roles and we have to run our own race and be rewarded for our own unique contributions in life.

Having said that, as a starting point, there are some purposes that we have in common:

1. Worshiping God. We were created for God. Make sure before you go about finding what you were created for or doing what you were created for, take time to seek GOD - the Creator Himself. There was this one author that said that some of the fruits of not spending time with God are crankiness, complaints, anxiety, irritability, etc. See reaction mode follows lack of purpose (hehe!).

Really take time to be with God. That is your main purpose and what you were created for (Rick Warren).

2. Serving with our Gifts. When we serve with our unique gifts, we don't worry about other people's races because we have our own race to run. We have our own tasks to do. Confession: I felt miserable at one point before because we had super-Christians who were so fruitful and wow they really had faith and all. And I had no idea back then where my specific place was and I ended up comparing myself with these super-Christians in our Church (who ended up being my leaders haha!). Eventually, God had to get my attention through a different decision, a decision they couldn't make because our callings were different. I was called to the workplace again and I had to trust God on my own and love Him more and He eventually worked it out for me. I ended up going a different path from them because God had to show me Himself what my path was. We all need turning points like that. The greatest freedom in the world, apart from freedom from sins through Jesus Christ, is to be the real you - strengths, flaws and all - that Jesus died for and loved.

What a miserable place to be in if we focus on other people's races. Either you fall behind, fall short and never get there. Because none of them are YOU. Find out what you're good at and focus on your own race. :D

We serve with what we already have been gifted with and it will make us fulfilled to spend time honing our gifts and benefiting others through it.

3. Connecting to and Relating with People. We were made for relationships. You can have a good job related to your gifts, but if you miss out purpose #1 and purpose #3 - relationship with God and man - you will find that you are more focused on the results and bend 1 and 3 - God and man - for your pursuits, which shouldn't be. We were made to connect with God first of all and with man, second, and the gifts that we have are for the both of them, not just for ourselves, although we enjoy and we will reap the rewards of our hard work.

4. Stewarding our Earth. Stewarding our resources - financial, natural, mineral, economic etc. - is our Genesis 1:28 mandate. We should all be faithful stewards of what we have been given. Please don't forget too we have to be faithful stewards of our body as well. We reap illnesses because we have broken the natural laws of our body, which require eating healthy, exercise, and adequate sleep. I read this from a book on Natural Remedies. We reap disasters because we also broke the natural laws of Nature. The earth is run by laws of sowing and reaping. Whatever we sow to, that is what we shall reap.

There are a lot of things we can involve ourselves in. Life is just waiting to be lived. Let us live a higher life by participating in it, that we may be co-reapers and co-heirs of its rewards. There would be a lot for us to share and more to be multiplied if we would contribute our part.

What if the reason the world's pie is limited is because the people who were supposed to be the answers to the problems create or merely react to problems instead of being part of the solutions? Instead of having this already generous pie grow bigger because more people are contributing to the economy, we only have the IBMs, the Microsofts, the Apples who are. We need more people adding to the pie so we can all share in a bigger harvest. More sowing, more reaping. :D

We were meant to do wonderful things with our God who supports and helps us along the way. It is God who wants us to live life and live it to the full - that includes a purpose-filled life lived for Him and others.

Amen.

Comments