Skip to main content

My Phone History

Recently I was reading this article The BlackBerry as Black Sheep and it inspired me to look back at my previous phones. This will be a phone diary, so to speak, about the seasons I went through and the phones that became a part of me during those days.

2003: Nokia 3330
The Nokia 3330 was my first phone. Back then, the phone for every person was just a beginning trend and parents in my school were getting more relaxed to the fact that their teenagers can now have a phone of their own. The trends that were so "in" that time among teenagers in the Philippines were composing your ringtones and graphical messages using text characters.
Nokia 3330
2003: Nokia 5100
Then came my senior year in college. I upgraded to a colored phone with a built-in flashlight, radio and was shockproof. I can't count how many times I dropped that phone and it still looked brand new, not to mention the colorful cases that you can choose from. Color was definitely in. People and brands were experimenting with different looks, shapes, new features like shockproof, radio, and flashlights.
Nokia 5100
2004-2005: Nokia 6820


Nokia 6820
By this time I was already getting a hang of what my texting behavior was and my needs were changing. Unlike my friends who liked to text in acronyms and shortcuts, my texting behavior has been slightly expressive still and I was unmoved by the character limits of phones during those times. Haha remember guys the "1/6" limits where long messages get sent in parts? It was a good thing the QWERTY keyboard was becoming in at that time and the Nokia 6820 became my new favorite phone.

2005-2006: Nokia 6681
Nokia 6681


2005 - the second year of college. The camera was starting to be a trend (at least from my experiences that time) and people were now upgrading by pixels - 2 megapixels, 3 megapixels, 4 megapixels, etc. Multiple entries to address books were getting to become a bigger need as well with more people and friends having more phones and it being the main direct communication medium for people.

Sadly, I lost this phone. It got stolen from me in college when I left it in class and came back for it and it wasn't there anymore.

Good bye 6681.

2006: HTC Touch

HTC Touch
I asked my mom (alright my dad!) to buy me an HTC Touch Phone. It was worth Php30,000 when it was first introduced. I had this phone only for a month. It was a Windows Phone 6 or Phone 7 I think and I really loved this phone. It was sleek, so handy. I liked it a lot. It was my first touch phone. The touch phone was not even a trend that time. I just knew I liked this little thing. And it fit perfectly in my pocket and my small hands. This phone was a winner for me!

It got stolen again. My bag where I put it, including my wallet, was nowhere to be found and this was during a student conference.

Heart break. I loved you when I had you HTC Touch.

2007-2008: Nokia E65 and Nokia E75
Nokia E65
Nokia E75

I inherited two phones from my mom - they're her old phones. These were my default phones when I lost my previous ones. Sadly, these phones were also stolen in separate incidents - one by force and one I left and was never returned to me again.

Thinking back, I must have brought serious offenses against my parents. And now I'm so thankful they have forgiven me for all of the times I lost my phones.

(TO be continued...)

Comments