Skip to main content

The Butterfly that Refused to Fly


Once, I heard this story of two butterflies - both breaking out from their cocoons and now they suddenly have wings. The first butterfly was so excited to fly. Turning to her friend, she said, "Benny let's fly, we were made to fly." But unlike her, the second one, Benny the Butterfly, preferred the comforts of his cocoon and thought, "Oh no, I'll just stay here." The first butterfly said to him, "But Benny, we were made to fly." Still Benny the Butterfly refused. He watched as his friend, flapped her wings and started the adventure of trying out her wings and flying.

The story is from Chip Ingram, pastor of Living on the Edge. Chip describes two types of Christians. One is free, bearing fruit and flying in the fellowship of the Holy Spirit. While the other one received Christ and yet is not living the Spirit-filled wonder of living daily by faith, fellowship and transformation. The other has no difference from when they accepted Christ. People cannot see the wings because like Benny the Butterfly, they prefer to stay in their comfort zone and won't venture out in the blessings and adventure of God for them.

Which one of these butterflies are you?

Currently, as I remember this story I am reminded to leave my old way of life, my old thoughts and its deceitful ways. The old life that Christ saved me from is the cocoon. Every time I would choose compromise, it's like coming back to that butterfly who preferred the cocoon. Christ saved me and freed me already from the power of sin. And now I have wings so I can fly in a new direction. I have wings to live a faith-filled holy life that I was meant to live.

As saved Christians, we now live in the power of the cross. We are free to leave the old ways that kept us in bondage and the former life that Christ died for us. We can walk a new life, bearing fruit in every good work. You are made to fly. To walk in the new way of the Spirit of God. And be free.

Comments