Skip to main content

Interconnected Roots and Fruits


What God reveals, He intends to heal, says Sharon Gerlach of Marketplace Leaders. When God reveals something, He intends to heal it.

When He deals with something in our lives, He heals it all down to the roots. Three or four years ago, I was already exhibiting un-Christian-like character. Bitterness has allowed itself to become anger, hatred and pride. My outward attitude was becoming unholy (fruit) even though I professed to be a Christian. When God would heal the external fruit (hatred, anger and pride), I have to deal with the root (forgive), receive forgiveness myself and deal with it.

God's healing is a process. But when He heals it is complete.

Classic grade-school science illustration of roots and parts of a tree.
Healing is a process. But to be healed, the process also requires cooperation and obedience.

Once the soul has forgotten the true worship of God, that's when we are most susceptible.

If we don't worship the God of truth, and there's only one God of truth, how can we be sure that we are on the side of truth, if from the very start we don't even know the God of truth?

Here are the verses:
"From the rest [of the wood] he makes a god, his idol;
    he bows down to it and worships.
He prays to it and says,
    “Save me! You are my god!” [Idolatry]
18 They know nothing, they understand nothing;
    their eyes are plastered over so they cannot see,
    and their minds closed so they cannot understand. [Deceit]
19 No one stops to think,
    no one has the knowledge or understanding to say,
“Half of it I used for fuel;
    I even baked bread over its coals,
    I roasted meat and I ate.
Shall I make a detestable thing from what is left?
    Shall I bow down to a block of wood?”
20 Such a person feeds on ashes; a deluded heart misleads him;
    he cannot save himself, or say,
    “Is not this thing in my right hand a lie?” 
[Deceit]
Isaiah 44:17-20

When we worship idols, we don't really worship God but worship created things. We worship not the true God but we worship something we created. The result is minds that hear but are not able to understand (Isaiah 44:18, 20) because it chooses to focus and worship on something he can see rather than turn to God, who cannot be seen, and be saved. We are limiting ourselves to our idea of how God reveals himself.

The only worship that I need is Jesus is in my heart and He is in living in me. 

How can we be freed from the sin of idolatry? We just have to turn away from it (turn away from the sin) and turn to God. If we miss out on turning to God, we might just turn our hearts to other replacements. The safest place we can give our heart to is God who heals our hurts and understands its weaknesses.

Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts.”
Hebrews 4:7
"Remember your Creator     in the days of your youth, before the days of trouble come     and the years approach when you will say,     “I find no pleasure in them”—
Now all has been heard;     here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments,     for this is the duty of all mankind. 14 For God will bring every deed into judgment,     including every hidden thing,     whether it is good or evil."
Ecclessiastes 12:1,13-14

Comments