Skip to main content

The Loneliness That Leaders Face


I think leaders do really struggle with wanting to do what's best and yet there's something within us that feels we're not always capable to come out perfect and make the right decisions each and every time.

And I wonder if there is such a thing as being lonely when that happens.

Sure it's easy to make a lot of friends who pat you on the back when you are on top of the world. But when it comes to pressures, decisions that could have been failures in other people's eyes, I wonder if real leaders feel a sense of loneliness after that.

Is this something that real people face, hence the phrase, "It gets lonely at the top."? 


These are just my honest questions.

At one point, I know strong leaders can handle it. At another point, I feel for them (if they do feel it that is).

Ever had these questions run through your head?

"Do people see me for me?"

"Do people see me for more than just what I can give?"

"Do people see me regardless of my achievements, fame or status?"

"Is it possible to have all the writeups about you - on newspapers and magazines and blogs - people knowing your name and calling you and yet do people really see me for who I am more that just my public actions or decisions?"

"Do people see me not only as their leader but someone with needs and wants?"

And it doesn't have to be a leader. It can be someone at the top of their game, whichever it is – someone successful, popular, admired by many.

These were the questions running through my head at that one point.

In the Scriptures, I had time to reflect on the days Jesus must have felt that way. The loneliness I mean.

First from the disciples. None of the disciples understood fully what he came here to do  that He had to die on the cross for the salvation of mankind. Not as a savior, ruler, king, political and army leader that David was but as the humble king who had to die for the sins of the world.

And then, I picture him praying on the garden of Gethsemane before He was about to be taken to be crucified. He asked his disciples to watch and pray because the hour is about to pass when he is to be handed over to the Roman authorities. And yet only one person was praying the whole time  Jesus.



And then there's the painful journey he had to walk when he was taken by the guards and shown to the courts of religious leaders, a political leader and Pontius Pilate. The disciples were nowhere and the other parties were much more. He had to face each group alone  accused, beaten, spit on, bruised and all. These people did not know Him for who He was because only the Father truly knew.



How about the time when he was brought into judgment by the people He helped, healed, casted demons from, fed, taught, and yet all those people except a faithful few denied him and asked that a criminal be released instead. I just imagine the agony of having to face the rejection of a lot of people despite all that He did for them.



And then lastly, the hanging on the cross. Jesus I felt felt the loneliness when He said, "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?"

My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?

Jesus faced the difficulties of being misunderstood by his disciples, religious leaders, political and army leaders, ordinary humans he came to help, plus the two criminals on the cross with him. For me that was just too much. Jesus must have at some point really felt the loneliness of those short but felt like long hours.

And He endured all that suffering and pain  mental, physical, spiritual and emotional - just so that we can be with Him one day in heaven.

I know of no other man who did that but Him.

Deep down, Jesus saw us for who we were  helpless and in need of a Savior who had to do it all for them.

I guess the encouragement for us is while a perfect man went through the worst, the imperfect ones like us who endure such questions have with us a companion who understands, sympathizes, cares and who sees us  all of us   and still loves us so much.

I just love the idea of goals being realized and I know that is a deep motivation and reason also why people are on top. And yet we have one who irregardless of how life turns out  whether we win or whether we lose, whether our prayers get answered or not  is still with us and He loves us and still cares for us.

That is in itself a profound thing to think about. And yet I hope people know about this Jesus. So that they know they are always loved no matter what.

God loves you. Take care all. May He bless you more and more. And may His peace be in your heart, body, soul, mind and spirit.

Amen.

Comments