Skip to main content

What Are You Willing to Fight For?

Before I went off for the movies last Friday, God was making clear to me what my mission was and zoning me in on the things I was made to do and not do so I don't step out of bounds.

Boundaries are a good thing. They help me to be clear on what efforts will pull me to my mission and what will pull me away from it.

In however short or long this span of life, I need to be clear on the things I will and will not do to keep me from being sidetracked and maximize the purpose for the life that God has for me.

Last Friday, I watched The Monuments Men. It's about this group of men, art curators, who got involved in World War II because they wanted to save priceless artifacts from being destroyed by the Nazis. It was performed by George Clooney, Matt Damon, Cate Blanchett and other wonderful actors. For me it was a good history lesson into something I did not know and I appreciate it for the unique purpose it was trying to do.

These men were ordinary men and they gave me a picture into what real life battles are about. How many of us know that in real battles (probably) not everything may happen as we see it in action movies (which are wonderfully choreographed and which I love by the way)? The battles of life are tireless gradual actions into a common mission that you take with people, people very ordinary but have committed themselves to a common goal. It's the goals that make a difference (e.g., fighting a war, winning a championship, freeing slaves, making a movie that touches people's minds and hearts, etc.) The goals or the purpose make the difference between a well-spent life or a wandering life.

The goals of past generations may be different from the goals we have today. For example, most of us do not fight a war anymore or have women solely stay at home to care for their family. That would have involved a lot of artillery and cleaning and tea party organizing skills because women before were not part of the traditional workplace. Thankfully, we are tools born with a mission today because in God's providence we were made to make a mark in this generation and future generations to come. We were made at just the right time to carry the unique DNA that will fulfill our tasks in this day and age.

Even movies have their own purpose and message (e.g., entertain, make people laugh, advocate a cause, be a Blockbuster, win an Oscar, etc.). You too you know. Rick Warren said in Purpose-Driven Life that you have a unique SHAPE (Spiritual gifts, Heart [Passion], Ability, Personality and Experience). There was someone else who said we have a unique message as well. I agree on both accounts. We all have a unique shape and carry a very unique message.

Going back to the movie, these people gave their lives for a cause  art, history and culture. The question is What cause am I also willing to give my life for and fight for? The answers would probably give a clue as to what my passion or purpose is.

Before Christ, I would have said a lot of things  be a philantrophist, volunteer more for a cause, help people to be the best that they can be (what I wrote during our college career orientation program), be a business owner, have a life that is inspiring (my own unspoken prayer), help the poor in general  causes which are not bad and I was probably sincere during those days. I'm sure many people in the world have noble goals and causes in life.

With lives now centered on Christ, the cause and the origin of our causes translate into many noble God-honoring jobs and callings for men, women, children and others.

Answering my own question, what was I willing to fight for that really resonate in my heart:

1. Truth. I was willing to fight for the truth. It is relatively supported by a love for God's word at an early stage of my Christian walk. And it's something that really stirs me to action and I guess something with God's grace I could really do something about based on how I was made.

2. God. I was willing to fight for my relationship with God. However, my God (in truth) is more like a roaring lion than a kitty that you have to defend every now and then. He can do it Himself.

He is very secure. And understanding how secure and how in control my God is changed my whole perspective how and when to defend Him. He mostly defends me. He is my Defender. (Isaiah 44:6, Psalm 48:3). I am the one in need of defending.

3. Family. No cause is worth it if the family is left behind. Maybe I'm speaking from my own value system. To me family really matters.

4. Career. Because it's my time I believe to fight for it. It's God's inheritance to his people - that they do meaningful work, live productive lives and enjoy the fruit of their labor. (Psalm 128:1-6)

"So there is nothing better for a man to do than eat, drink and and let himself enjoy the good that results from his work. I also realized that this is from God's hand." (Ecclesiastes 2:24, CJB) Not to be taken too literally though but in good wisdom as well. :-) However indeed, God wants us to enjoy work and life and love them as blessings from Him.

"Our people must learn to devote themselves to doing what is good, in order to provide for urgent needs and not live unproductive lives." (Titus 3:14, NIV)

5. Goals. Fifth thing I said was goals because for me without goals, where will my life be headed? My daily actions will be based on the goals I set for myself. For me, making God smile (as also premised by Rick Warren's Purpose-Driven Life) is the first goal of my life.

It is a concentration tool I guess - the question "What am I willing to fight for?"

Other examples are free speech, good health, progress, democracy, etc.

The filter to knowing God-ordained causes is this: Will this goal or action better my life, make God happy and other people as well based on God's most important commandments - loving the Lord with all your heart, soul and mind and loving your neighbor as you love yourself (Matthew 22:36-40)?

How else can I better serve God in my realm of work?

What kind of tool did God fashion me to be? (In your own words)

Please feel free to comment in the thread below your answers.

1) What am I most willing to fight for?

2) What kind of tool did God fashion me to be?

I would love to hear them. Or better yet, would you like to share your answers as you share this post as well? I guess I wouldn't mind that ;-) Thank you and have a great week!

Comments