Skip to main content

Death, Where is Your Sting?


Several people have gone from this world to the next with us noticing. The recent devastation in Yolanda has claimed a 5,000+ death toll. A rail station crash from New York claimed four lives. Just last night, my brother told me that American actor Paul Walker died in a car crash on Saturday. The Washington Post made a lovely and very nostalgic album of notable deaths in 2013. While I'm not particularly in joyful spirits to hear anyone's demise, the daily rate at which it happens this time can't seem to pass me by.

While browsing The Washington Post's collection of pictures of people who died that made a mark in different fields - actors, authors, journalists, musicians, people from the world of sports, I wonder to myself what my own obituary would be like without making a death wish. But in the reality of it without wanting to sound depressing, is death one of life's philosophy questions?

We may or may not have an opinion on death - philosophical or not - but it is sadly real. My hope is for one day to see the Lord in full form in heaven. Because right now even if I want to be with Him every time, I have to accept the fact that it is incomplete. Just like when a bride and a to-be groom are away from each other, it is incomplete. For then, the Lord will just tell me the full joy of being with Him is reserved for heaven. On that account, I sometimes think to myself how I look forward to it.

Think of whatever makes you happy in this life, that, plus let's not forget God, is in heaven. Perfect body, no pain, no suffering, a mansion, I imagine many trees and springs (well God did say it will be a new earth but it will be a redeemed perfect one). I heard someone say that the promises of heaven is also personal to each one. Like maybe I keep thinking of trees and springs is because I like trees and springs! And whatever was in your natural - sanctified - desires, it could be possibly in heaven.

Whenever some trials keep me dearly from being too joyful in this life and I ask the Lord God for more of Him as of this time, heaven becomes a very marvelous place to my imagination. But we have our own time of going there. Let the choice be His, not mine.

There is a story I once read about a father and a son. They went on a boat trip and they had the son's friend come over. On a dreadful day, the son and the friend got into the waters and suddenly the father had to make a decision which to save - his own son or his son's friend. They were far from the father so he can only save one. Turning to his son, the boy said to his father to save his friend. The son was a believer. His destiny was sure to him. The friend had not received God yet. From the story, the father listened to the son and saved the friend instead of his own.

Unfortunately, I cannot source where I read it right now. It is quite far from my memory (forgive me for this) but the significance of the father's decision stays with me. God does not want people to perish but to come to the full knowledge of Him and salvation. He is patient with us, desiring that we come back to Him.

On that note, I want to make a point that if someone were to receive Christ on his deathbed, confessed and repented of his sin, I still think that person will be in heaven. We don't know which ones truly repented on their deathbed. Only God knows. Only He knows.

But our ministry is to the living. That they may come to Christ while they are still "conscious." Although I don't think it's impossible either for God to save someone who is mentally deranged or in a coma. If we keep speaking the gospel to him or her, who knows the lengths to which the Word of God can come alive and penetrate the mind and heart?

However, the ministry must continue. We have to keep sharing what we can that God allows and God permits. I wish I can say more about where the dead go and what is life after death, for clearly, our ministry is to the living. God, his angels, and all the rest who have gone ahead of us in heaven will welcome and take care of our passed loved ones for us. :-)

Their joy is greater than our joy here on earth. They are in a very safe, wonderful, beautiful, glorious and lovely place. It is peace and joy forever. How I long for that day but at the same time, we must stay because much is still to be done. That's why God doesn't take the person to heaven the moment someone received Christ. Much is still to be done. We have more to do.

My condolence and graces to the families bereaved. No word I feel can fully take away the suffering that we pass through sometimes. But we are not without hope. God promises that one day, He will make all things right. How I yearn for that day.

I leave with you dear readers the words of a hymn written by Fanny Crosby, an American lyricist from New York City, USA written in 1873 (Source: The 25 Most Popular Christian Hymns https://www.unlockingthebible.org/most-popular-christian-hymns/).


  1. Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
    Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine!
    Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
    Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.
    • Refrain:
      This is my story, this is my song,
      Praising my Savior all the day long;
      This is my story, this is my song,
      Praising my Savior all the day long.
  2. Perfect submission, perfect delight,
    Visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
    Angels, descending, bring from above
    Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.
  3. Perfect submission, all is at rest,
    I in my Savior am happy and blest,
    Watching and waiting, looking above,
    Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.
  4. May God richly bless you now and forevermore!

Comments