Skip to main content

The God of the Valley


God is Lord even in our darkest moments. When the pain seems to be unending, when we don't know which way to turn, when we run out of resources to go to, He is there. At times, we can ask, "Why is this happening to me?" "Why me?" and no answer seems to satisfy. We want to crawl back to our couch hoping and praying for an answer, desperate as our world seems to go out of control, not knowing what to do and for the first time in a long time, not knowing where to begin to solve our problems.

If the Lord is taking you to such a place, I pray you will not lose heart, for the valley season does not last forever (according to God's timing) and it does not have to define you. Your worst moments don't have to define you anymore than your good moments define you.

During my darkest valleys, God brought me to a word from Dr. Alyn E. Waller, author of Enjoy Your Journey: Our Quest for a Deeper Relationship with Christ. Dr. Waller says that for us to enjoy life, we should understand that life is a progression of seasons. Sometimes we tend to lose hope because we think that our worst seasons are just it - the end. But they too will pass. We should not define ourselves by our worst moments or our good moments. They are not what will define us. Our journey with Christ is what will, so we can be alive both in the joy and in the pain. Both are at times necessary but it does not mean we cannot enjoy life in our valleys, especially when we have a relationship with God. 

God taught me that when I encountered failure in my life. I tore off a copy of my resume just because I did not recognize who the woman was in that resume that seemed to be at the top of her game. When the time came for me to start going forward, I took a long time to really ease through the new transition because I had let my failures define me. I had unknowingly defined myself by my best moments and also by my worst.

Why does the author encourage us not to do so? Because life is not meant to be who gets the best moment or who gets the worst moment. We will all go through good moments and bad. What is important is how we transition from one season to the next, that we move forward whether the road is an uphill or a valley. We have to go forward.

If you get stuck in your good moments, you'll get depressed when you transition to the valley period where all is a lot more quiet. You might miss out on the new things that God wants to show you, or the lessons the valley was meant to teach you. On the other hand, if you get stuck in your worst moments, you will have a hard time taking off when it is finally time because part of you is still attached to the ground.

It won't last for long. Sorrow can remain for the night but joy comes in the morning, the Word of God says (Psalm 30:5). The Lord can still do miracles in the valley period. "This is what the Lord says: 'Because the Arameans think the Lord is a god of the hills and not a god of the valleys, I will deliver this vast army into your hands, and you will know that I am the Lord'" (1 Kings 20:28).

The enemy thinks that he could defeat you in the valley with a trial or a provocation. Don't let him. God is with you even in your valleys. You will still be victorious as long as God is with you.

Second thing I learned, when it comes to God, don't underestimate what little resources you have during this period.

"This is what the Lord says, 'Do you see this vast army? I will give it into your hand today, and then you will know that I am the Lord.'"

"But who will do this?" asked Ahab.

The prophet replied, "This is what the Lord says: 'The junior officers under the provincial commanders will do it." (1 Kings 20:13-14)

"And who will start the battle?" he asked.

The prophet answered, "You will." (1 Kings 20:14)

The junior officers were the ones who headed out first into the enemy's camp followed by the rest of the troops (1 Kings 20:17).

What did I learn from this? It is not about the number but about how God chooses to do His will with whatever you have right now at your disposal. It was not the commanders He asked to lead the battle. God specifically asked for the junior officers to do it.

Last thing I learned from this story. God was willing to defend the Israelites even with a notable wicked king (1 Kings 16: 30-32). It was Ahab's reign during which the Lord had to use the prophet Elijah to demonstrate that The Lord is the real God not Baal by supernaturally bringing fire to a bull lying on a pile of wood (1 Kings 18:16-45). Ahab's wife, Jezebel, had all of God's prophets killed, but a few, including Elijah, lived by God's grace (1 Kings 18:4).

Why had the Lord chosen to help Ahab in 1 Kings 20 after all has been said and done? I cannot completely comprehend either but I believe He wanted to preserve the people, for the sake of the ones who were devoted to Him. Or that He was still the God of second chances and gave Ahab another chance to obey Him.

Going back to the idea of being in the valley, God was with David, Jesus, Elijah, and Moses while they were in their quietest and darkest moments. When they were in despair, the lives of these great men of God showed that the Lord is a trustworthy confidante who never leaves us nor forsakes us in our moments of great pain.

The greatest comforts I received from God came in my times of pain. Rain suddenly falls. Birds suddenly fly down. Leaves fall. Wonderful encouraging music is sent to me to quiet my heart. Love and times of peace came after a wonderful time of prayer just giving it all to God. I thank the Lord for being faithful to me during those times and I will bring the closeness and devotion birthed in me in the valley to the best years still ahead of me!

If it wasn't for the training of the valley, I would not have been able to recognize God's voice as clearly as I do now and share it with other people, even in seemingly normal days. God is just so amazing!


Comments