Skip to main content

The Year of God's Favor

"The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
because the Lord anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,
to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor...
to comfort all who mourn,
and provide for those who grieve in Zion --
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the Lord
for the display of his splendor.

They will rebuild the ancient ruins

and restore the places long devastated;
they will renew the ruined cities
that have been devastated for generations,

... you will be called priests of the Lord,

you will be called ministers of our God. 
You will feed on the wealth of nations,
and in their riches you will boast.

Instead of their shame

my people will receive a double portion,
and instead of disgrace
they will rejoice in their inheritance;
and so they will inherit a double portion in their land
and everlasting joy will be theirs.

For I, the Lord, love justice;

I hate robbery and iniquity.
In my faithfulness I will reward them
and make an everlasting covenant with them.

...I delight greatly in the Lord;

my soul rejoices in my God.
For he has clothed me with garments of salvation
and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness..."
The Year of the Lord's Favor, Isaiah 61


I'm not sure if I have comforting words to write today. Even in this time of uncertainty, I want to turn to this Word to comfort me and secure me that God will never leave me. It's tough sometimes but I know and profess in my storms that my GOD can do anything.

I am reminded in verse 3, times when I'm praying and after I will sense a light covering my head. I know his presence has been with me. The LORD reminds me that He is my greatest glory and jewelry, foundation, garment and accessory.

There are times still where I feel my heart will burst for no apparent reason. Like there are words to be spoken and expressed and a love for people that can't be expressed as if it has been there planted by God for a reason. I love the people I'm with. I know it in my heart when I see them. God has placed a love for them in me. I don't know how else to describe this extraordinary love I feel except from the love of God in me alone - affection that I can't describe at times.

I pray now more than anything else that people will not see my goodness but God's graciousness to me. My good works are in vain if people don't see Christ in them. Without Christ, values are charity. With Christ, all good things - small and big - become an act of worship, sanctified and a pleasing aroma before God. A pleasing sacrifice and incense that pleases God the same way He delighted in the sacrifice of Abel more than Cain. Because Abel gave his best unto the LORD, it pleased God so much.

I am a very affectionate person my friend. I'm glad GOD is the same and more. When I first heard Him, I feel like every word from Him is like fire in my soul - I cry at the love, the truth, the emotion, whatever that thing you call when you're really sure God has entered your life and you just burst into tears of repentance, or joy, or carried away in the love of God. I want to remind myself of the woman I have become because of Him choosing and calling me to His side and I find the strength and comfort to go another mile.

May the fragments I leave please You and may You empower me to go further and advance in the knowledge of Your ways. Amen.

Comments